CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dont Be a Chicken!

Roasting a whole chicken can be intimidating. It is worth it for the money though. Left over chicken can be used in other recipes. Locally I can find a whole roasting chicken on sale for 69 cents a pound. Thats a pretty good deal I think.

I added flavored butter under the skin.
Here are a few pointers when roasting your own. Im gonna be honest - I dont like the thought of shoveing my hand in the chicken to get the gizzards out. This past time I dumped them out of the chicken and used a knife to assist me. Stuff the chicken with a lemon and onion. Prior to doing that  be sure to salt and pepper the cavity. Finally, you will need to trusse the chicken. This ensures that it will roast evenly. I have never bought butcher twine. Im to cheap frugal. I use the skin to keep the legs from flopping all over.

I cut a whole through the skin for trussing. You can see my finger slightly peaking through.


This is what it will look like once you have used the skin for trussing. Skin from the opposite side is used to hold the leg in for even roasting.  

Roast the chicken at 400 degrees for about an 1 1/2 or until the juices run clear when
you cut between the leg and thigh.

1 comment:

  1. I always buy the whole chicken- such a better price! I hate pulling out the gizzard too-yuck!

    ReplyDelete