CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Autumn Harvest

I really wanted to go apple picking this fall. Unfortunately the apple picking turned out to be picking them at the store. What was important was being able to enjoy the ripe fruit of the season. The other motive was to use the fruit that was in season to make baby food. I had made some baby food for my oldest, but didnt think in advance to use what is in season to cut down on cost. Somone had suggested to a friend to make applesauce in a crockpot. Really!! You can do that? (I am an avid collector of recipe's - it's a terrible addiction.) So I searched through the recipes I had avaliable to me. The one thing I had aquired when hubby and I got married was a crockpot cookbook that he NEVER used. There it was - the recipe sitting before me like a golden ticket.

Applesauce

10 medium Winesap or Golden Delicious, cooking apples
 (I used Golden Delicious)
1/2 c. water
3/4 c sugar
cinnamon - optional

Core, peel and thinly slice apples. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Stir until well blended.

I had used the cinnamon when I had made it. The apple sauce tasted like an apple pie minus the crust. Ohhh...it was wonderful!! Before freezing I had sent it through a small food mill.
My second batch I had used apple juice that didn't have sugar added in place of the water. I did this because I have been picky about giving my girls sugar at too young of an age. Once they were cooked I had added a couple of tablespoons to it. 

The crockpot applesauce inspired me to make homemade pumpkin puree. When we had picked up apples, I had also picked up a 'Pumpkin Pie' Pumpkin. There were directions on how to bake it in the oven, but after making the apple sauce I thought why not try the crockpot again.

I cleaned off the exterior of the pumpkin cut the stem off and cleaned out the seeds.
 Then cut it into wedges so it would fit into the crockpot. Added about 1 cup of water for steaming and cooked it until it was fork tender.
Once it was cooked I allowed it to cool, then processed with the baby foodmill. The puree was then spooned into an ice cube tray for easy portions and frozen. Once the cubes of puree are frozen they go into a freezer bag marked Pumpkin and dated.

I have been so busy with an assortment of projects! Here is a sneak peak... 


No comments:

Post a Comment